Hazardous Waste is characterized by being either Corrosive, Flammable, Reactive, or Toxic.
Residents of St. Lucie County may bring acceptable Household Hazardous Waste to the Solid Waste Baling & Recycling Facility for proper disposal FREE of charge. Businesses must contact a licensed hazardous waste handler for disposal.
Hazardous products may have "caution," "danger," "flammable," "poison," or "toxic" on the label. Do not put unused products in your garbage or recycling carts or pour into a drain or on the ground.
Examples of Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste are:
- Automotive Fluids (up to 5 gallons per household per day)
- Batteries - RECHARGEABLE Batteries ONLY (Single-use alkaline batteries can be disposed of in the trash)
- Cleaners & Polishes
- Fertilizer, Herbicides and Pesticides
- Fire Extinguishers
- Helium "Party Balloon" Tanks (14.9 cu. ft. or smaller)
- Kerosene, Lamp Oil, Lighter Fluid
- Oil-Based Paints & Stains
- Paint Thinners & Solvents
- Pool and Spa Chemicals
- Vehicle Batteries
All Vehicles MUST STOP at the Scale House
Upon entering the St. Lucie County Baling & Recycling Facility, drive straight ahead to the Scale House, pull up on the scale closest to the window, and let the operator know what items you are dropping off. The scale house operator will direct you to the correct location!
Our Facility is NOT Permitted to Accept:
- Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks, Flares
- Business-Generated Hazardous Waste
- Cooking Oil
- Latex Paint* Please see disposal information below.
- Out-of-County Waste
- Over 5 gallons of liquid per household per day
- Over 100 pounds of dry/granular material per household per day
- Radioactive Waste (Smoke Alarms/Detectors)
- Sharps/Needles (call the Health Dept. 772-873-4931)
To dispose of large quantities of hazardous waste or materials we are not permitted to accept, use a directory to find disposal services according to the material.
*Latex Paint is water based and not considered hazardous, however, it must be completely dried to a solid before disposing in your household garbage.
Solid Waste Baling & Recycling Facility
6120 Glades Cut-Off Road
Fort Pierce, FL 34981