Hazardous Waste is characterized by being either Corrosive, Flammable, Reactive, or Toxic.
Residents of St. Lucie County may bring acceptable Household Hazardous Waste to the Solid Waste Baling & Recycling Facility for proper disposal FREE of charge. Businesses* must contact a licensed hazardous waste handler for disposal.
Hazardous products may have signal words such as CAUTION, DANGER, FLAMMABLE, POISON, or TOXIC on the label. Do not put unused products in your garbage or recycling carts or pour into a drain or on the ground. When these products are disposed of improperly, they can cause injury to sanitation workers and pollute our natural water resources.
Examples of Acceptable Household Hazardous Waste
- Automotive Fluids & Fuels (Antifreeze, Gas, Motor Oil) in containers no larger than 5 gallons and limited to no more than (3) three 5 gallon containers per household per day
- Cleaners & Polishes in containers no larger than 5 gallons or over 100 pounds
- Cooking Oil/Grease/Fat in clean containers no larger than 5 gallons (do not mix with any other liquids, remove food/bones, and label containers as "Cooking Oil")
- Fertilizer, Herbicides, Pesticides in containers no larger than 5 gallons or over 100 pounds
- Fire Extinguishers
- Helium Tanks (14.9 cu. ft. or smaller)
- Kerosene, Lamp Oil, Lighter Fluid in containers no larger than 5 gallons
- Oil-Based Paints, Stains, Thinners, Solvents in containers no larger than 5 gallons
- Pool & Spa Chemicals in containers no larger than 5 gallons or over 100 pounds
- Rechargeable Batteries - Please note: Single-use Alkaline batteries can be put in your garbage
- Vehicle Batteries (Wet Cell Lead Acid Batteries)
Prohibited Materials and Quantity Limits:
- Acetylene Tanks
- Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks, Flares
- Biological Wastes
- Business* Generated Hazardous Waste
- Containers larger than 5 gallons
- Latex Paint** Please see disposal information below.
- Medication (call the Sheriff's office for details 772-462-7300)
- Out-of-County Waste
- Over (3) three 5 gallon containers of Antifreeze, Gas and Motor Oil per household per day
- Over 100 pounds of dry/granular material per household per day
- Radioactive Waste including Smoke Alarms/Detectors
- Sharps/Needles (call the Health Dept. 772-873-4931)
- X-Rays (contact a local hospital or clinic)
To dispose of hazardous materials we are not permitted to accept or quantities larger than our limits, use a directory to find disposal services according to the material.
*Businesses include entities such as: Local, State & Federal Government, School, Commercial, Religious, For-Profit, and Not-for-Profit organizations.
**Latex Paint is water based and not considered hazardous, however, it must be completely dried to a solid before disposing in your household garbage.
To drop off Household Hazardous Waste -
Upon entering our facility, drive straight ahead to the Scale House, pull up on the scale closest to the building, let the operator know what items you are dropping off and they will direct you.
Solid Waste Baling & Recycling Facility
6120 Glades Cut-Off Road
Fort Pierce, FL 34981