St. Lucie County has had an adopt-a-road program since 1994. This program provides opportunities for individuals, businesses, clubs, church groups, and other organizations to adopt a one-half mile segment or more of County maintained roadway. Participants can help keep our County clean by simply agreeing to picking up litter and trash a minimum of six times a year. Not only is this a great opportunity for a little exercise but your organization will also receive recognition in the form of a sign located at the beginning and end of the segment of the roadway you maintain.
Roadside litter creates a huge burden on the County. It is difficult to keep up with all the trash that is tossed onto the roadways. Please help show your pride in St. Lucie County and consider volunteering to help keep the roadsides trash and litter free!
- To reduce litter along all St. Lucie County roadways
- To keep the surrounding environment clean, including swales, canals, and stormwater inlets.
- To reduce littering by increasing public awareness.
How to adopt a road?
- Select a County road for adoption.
- Fill out an application (Click here).
- Once the application is approved, review the requirements and sign an Adopt-a-Road agreement.
What does the County provide?
- A sign crediting the group or individual volunteering at the beginning and end of the roadway segment that is being maintained.
- Trash bags, pokers, traffic control signs and safety vests.
- Litter bag removal after the organization places them near the edge of the roadway. Please call the Road and Bridge office at (772) 462-2511 when the bags are ready for removal.
Safety Policies and Tips:
- Always wear furnished safety vests.
- Park vehicles well off the right shoulder of the roadway.
- Workers need to stay out of the traffic lanes and medians. Pick up trash in right-of-way areas only.
- Leave small children and pets at home. Volunteers between the age of twelve and eighteen should be supervised. One adult supervisor for every five youths is required.
- Keep filled trash bags off of roadway and in the shoulder area.
- Work in daytime hours only.
- Bring water for hot weather days.