Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Frequently Asked Questions about the St Lucie County Animal Safety, Services & Protection Division

How many animals am I allowed to have?

No more than five (5) dogs and/or cats four (4) months or older shall be allowed for each dwelling unit in residential districts as per County Ordinance 7.10.03.

Do I have to register/license my pet(s) with the County?

Yes, all dogs and cats over the age of four (4) months old must be licensed within 30 days of you acquiring the animal and/or establishing residency within the unincorporated areas of the County.

I am a part-time resident, does my animal have to be registered/licensed with the County?

If you reside within the unincorporated areas of St. Lucie County for six (6) months or more, you are required to obtain a license for your animal(s).

What do I need in order to register/license my pet(s)?

Your pet(s) will need to be current on their rabies vaccination in order to obtain a County License. Proof of sterilization is required if licensing your pet(s) with an “Annual Spayed/Neutered Pet” or “Lifetime” license.

Where can I go to get a County License for my pet(s)?

You can bring your pet(s) rabies certificate to any veterinary clinic that participates in our County License program or to the Humane Society of St. Lucie County (Savannah Rd. and Glades Cut Off locations) and they can issue a County License for your pet(s) (https://www.stlucieco.gov/departments-services/a-z/public-safety/animal-safety-service-protection/pet-registration/participating-veterinarian-facilities).

You can also download and complete a pet registration form from our website (https://www.stlucieco.gov/home/showdocument?id=1402) and mail the registration form, your license fee and rabies certificate to: 15305 W. Midway Rd, Ft. Pierce, FL 34945 and a license will be mailed back to you once the information has been processed and entered into the system.

Do I have to register my pet(s) every year?

As per County Ordinance 6-51, “Unaltered Pet” and “Annual Spayed/Neutered Pet” licenses are valid for one year from the date of issuance or date of the rabies vaccination, whichever is earlier and must be renewed every year. You will need to keep a current rabies vaccination certificate on file with the Division for “Lifetime” licenses to remain active. If you have previously registered with the County, a reminder notice will be sent out at least 45 days prior to any license renewal deadline as pursuant to Florida State Statute 828.13.

Am I allowed to breed/sell animals within the County?

Yes, but you must first obtain Zoning Compliance approval as well as any Business Licensing requirements. Once you have the Zoning Compliance and Business Licensing approval, you will need to obtain a Pet Breeder Registration Certificate or Pet Seller Registration Certificate from the Division. Your pet(s) will need to be current on their rabies vaccinations, you will need to have a veterinarian on file for the health certificates and abide by all requirements listed in Florida State Statute 828.29 for selling animals in the State of Florida.

Does it matter if I register with the city or the county for my pet(s) license?

There are three jurisdictions within St. Lucie County: City of Ft. Pierce, City of Port St. Lucie and the unincorporated areas of St. Lucie County (County). Each jurisdiction has their own licensing program and you must register with the jurisdiction that you reside.

How do I know what jurisdiction I reside in to register my pet(s) for their license(s)?

You can search your home address on St. Lucie County Property Appraiser (https://www.paslc.org) and check your jurisdiction in the Card view under the Property Identification section. Jurisdictions:

Saint Lucie County: Unincorporated areas of St. Lucie County (County)

Port Saint Lucie: City of Port St. Lucie

Fort Pierce: City of Ft. Pierce

How can I reach Animal Safety, Services & Protection (ASSP)?

For general questions, you may reach the ASSP office at (772) 462-8120 during our normal office hours of Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Animal Safety Officers may also be requested by calling our 9-1-1 dispatch unit.

I need an Animal Safety Officer immediately, what number should I call?

If you need immediate assistance, call our 9-1-1 dispatch unit and request an Animal Safety Officer.

Am I allowed to have horses or other livestock?

As per County Ordinance 7.10.03, no animals shall be kept in any residential district except those animals generally recognized as household pets (dogs, cats, caged birds- excludes poultry).

In the AR-1 district, animals other than household domestic pets may be kept provided they are not housed within one hundred (100) feet of any property line.

In the RE-1 and RE-2 districts, horses may be kept provided that:

  1. The property is at least two (2) acres;

  2. No more than two (2) horses are kept;

  3. The horses are for the private and personal use of the resident and his/her family; and,

  4. The horses are to be stabled at least one hundred fifty (150) feet from any residence under separate ownership and three hundred (300) feet from the edge of the right-of-way of any street.

Are dogs allowed on the beaches in St. Lucie County?

As per County Ordinance Sec. 32-2 and 32-96, dogs are prohibited from and are not allowed on North Beach from the dune line to the water between Pepper Park and the North Jetty.

There are two beaches within St. Lucie County that permit dogs on the beach while off leash:

Walton Rocks Beach: 6700 S Ocean Dr., Jensen Beach, FL 34957

Wild Cat Cove: 3399 Florida A1A, Fort Pierce, FL 34949

Dogs are permitted on all other beaches not listed above. However, there are guidelines that must be followed while on the beach. Dog owners found to be in violations of any of the guidelines while on the beach with their dogs are subject to citations for each violation. The guidelines for dogs on the beach are:

  • Dogs cannot become or create a public nuisance
  • Dogs must be on a leash and under restraint at all times
  • Dogs must be current on their rabies vaccination with the tag affixed to their collar
  • Dog owners must pick up and remove fecal matter immediately and dispose of in an appropriate receptacle

Are Animal Safety Officers allowed on my property without my permission?

Animal Safety Officers are empowered to enter onto private property and demand animals and/or tags to be displayed. The Animal Safety Officer may also enter into a fenced enclosure for the purposes of, but not limited to, apprehending a rabid animal, assisting an animal at large, assisting an animal in need of medical attention, cruelty investigations, or vicious animals not properly contained. In these situations, the Animal Safety Officers are granted immunity from prosecution for a reasonable good faith trespass on private property.

Will an Animal Safety Officer set traps to catch nuisance wildlife that I’m having problems with?

No, Animal Safety Officers are unable to assist in the removal of nuisance wildlife. You must contact a licensed wildlife trapper to obtain these services.

If I catch or trap nuisance wildlife, will an Animal Safety Officer pick it up and relocate it for me?

No, Animal Safety Officers are not permitted to remove or relocate healthy wildlife; the animal will be released from the trap or container on site. The Animal Safety Officers are only permitted to remove sick or injured wildlife and transport to a wildlife rehab facility for treatment or humane euthanasia if the injuries or illness are not treatable.