Become a Water Champion!
What is the St. Lucie Water Champions Initiative?The St. Lucie Water Champions initiative is a series of events developed by the Oxbow Eco-Center to help residents, businesses and organizations play a part in finding solutions to our water quality issues.
What are the components of St. Lucie Water Champions?
Register for available courses by calling the Oxbow Eco-Center, (772) 785-5833.
- Fundamentals of Stormwater Course: Date TBA See below for more information.
- Water Quality & St. Lucie County: Know the Issues: Saturday, September 14, 2019 at the Oxbow Eco-Center This course is designed for those with a basic understanding of Florida's water issues, or who have taken the Fundamentals of Stormwater course. This course will delve deeper into the what and why of the issues in our local waterways.
- Working for Clean Water: How to Do More by Exercising Your Citizenry: Date TBA This course focuses on governmental agencies and their role in the health of our ecosystems. Participants will learn about comprehensive plans, local and state representatives and how to effectively communicate with them.
- Interpreting Water Quality: Stormwater Education Strategies: Date TBA This special course is designed for anyone ages 13+ who would like to hone their skills in environmental interpretation in order to effectively inform others about our local waterways. See below for more information.
- Stewardship Opportunities: to be announced
What is the Fundamentals of Stormwater course?
Join the Oxbow Eco-Center and a host of local environmental scientists to chart a course to healthier aquatic habitats in St. Lucie County. Our local waterways are significant both environmentally and economically, but these natural systems are fragile and they need us to be the best stewards we can be. The Fundamentals of Stormwater course is a great place to begin
In this course, participants will experience presentations on the history and ecology of our wetlands and waterways, learn about what local governments and agencies are doing to improve the health of these systems, and how each of us can play a part in improving water quality and a creating a bright future for the Indian River Lagoon and its tributaries.
The Fundamentals of Stormwater course is recommended for all residents (ages 13+): home owners or renters, business owners, school officials, church members, and community leaders. We all share the Indian River Lagoon and its watershed....the fate of these waterways rests with us....and we are in this together. Join us and become a Champion for clean water! This course is FREE, but space is limited.
What is Interpreting Water Quality: Stormwater Education Strategies?
This special course is designed for anyone ages 13+ who would like to hone their skills in environmental interpretation in order to inform others about our local waterways. Working together, we can ensure a healthy lagoon and clean water for today and future generations. Join us and become a "champion" for clean water. This course is FREE, but space is limited.
For more information on any component of the St. Lucie Water Champions Initiative,
contact the Oxbow at 772-785-5833, or Wren Underwood at firstname.lastname@example.org .