The Procession of the Species celebration has won the support of the St. Lucie County Superintendent of Schools and is a wonderful opportunity for teachers to blend curriculum, STEAM initiatives, and be involved with the local community.
1. Encourages integrated, project and place-based learning.
2. Supports STEAM initiatives.
3. Connects students to the natural world, promotes environmental awareness and stewardship.
4. Reaches a diverse array of learners through artistic expression.
5. Provides partnership opportunities for schools, businesses, non-profit organizations, civic groups and governmental agencies.
Who Can Participate?
Everyone can take part! This is an inclusive event: classes, clubs, bands, dance troupes, athletic teams...everyone!
Bring the Procession into your classroom!
1. Students (either individually or as a group) choose a favorite species, habitat or nature theme.
2. Students research their topic, incorporating reading, writing, public speaking, etc (Science, Geography, Language Arts)
3. Students design and create a costume or prop (sculpture, puppet, etc) to enter into the Procession parade. Whenever possible, use recyclable or re-purposed materials. (Art, Science, Math) Head over to our Costume Inspiration page for ideas! For more great visuals, go to YouTube.com, search "procession of the species".
4. Teacher/Leader submits a Procession of the Species Registration Form. There is NO FEE to participate!
5. Coordinate with administrators and parents to obtain all permission slips/required school district forms. ALL participants (or parents/guardians) are required to sign a St Lucie County Release Liability form, available by calling (772) 785-5833.
6. Check in at the Procession staging area on Saturday October 27th, and take part in the parade! See the Guidelines and Tips page for details.