Teen Area Policy
Policy Statement 1
The St. Lucie County Library System is committed to providing an inviting and safe space for teenage patrons to engage in individual and group activities. The social nature and unique characteristics of this age group require a separate space designed for their needs. The Lewis, Morningside and Hurston Branches have designated Teen Areas.
- Teen Areas are for middle school and high school students in 6th-12th grade.
- The Library recognizes that some families homeschool their children. Homeschooled students 6th-12th grade are encouraged to take advantage of the Teen Area for studying, accessing computers and utilizing the collection
- While patrons of all ages are welcome to browse and check out materials from the Young Adult collection, the use of computers and other electronic equipment within this area is exclusively for the use of middle school and high school students.
- Parents or caregivers may be in the Teen Area with their child, if their child is between 6th and 12th grade.
- The Library reserves the right to utilize the Teen Area for scheduled teen programs, events and gaming activities.
Policy Statement 2
Teens are expected to respect the overall Library environment, and may not engage in activities or communications that disrupt other Library users or staff. All other Library policies apply to the Teen Area. The Library reserves the right to limit the use of the Library by teens who, in the judgement of Library staff, are infringing upon the rights of other library users by inappropriate behavior.
- Teens shall respect each other, library staff and other patrons in word and action.
- The Teen Area will be used only for its intended purposes.Pushing, shoving, throwing, hitting, spitting, public displays of affection, swearing, abusive language is not permitted.
- Verbal or physical abuse of staff or patrons such as cursing, rude or demeaning comments, disrespectful language, talking back to library staff or customers, hitting, biting, kicking, punching or teasing other customers is not permitted.
- Any behavior considered aggressive by staff may result in the police being notified and further actions may be taken.
- Vandalism, theft or damage of library property or library grounds is a legal matter and the police will be notified.
- Food and beverages are prohibited near computer equipment.
- The entire Library Code of Patron Conduct applies to the Teen Area
Policy Statement 3
The Library recognizes the importance of supporting the educational and recreational needs of teens by providing access to computer equipment. The Library has designated the computers located within the GameZone and at the entrance to the Teen Area as Teen Only Computers.
- The use of the teen computers is restricted to middle school, high school, and homeschooled student’s grades 6th-12th.
- On occasion, Library staff may use the teen area and equipment for very specific library instructional programs for adults. Every effort will be made to schedule these programs during non-demand teen hours.
- No exceptions will be made for library patrons whose age falls outside of this range.
Approved by the St. Lucie County Library Advisory Board on January 23, 2017