What is the Family Self-Sufficiency program?
Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS), is a program designed to assist individuals and/or families with achieving their economic independence. The FSS program combines comprehensive case management services, education, financial planning, and ongoing support to aid participants in improving their life. Participants must have a desire to become self-sufficient and be committed to taking the steps necessary to achieve their goals.
How can FSS help you?
- Identify goals and develop a plan to achieve goals.
- Identify barriers which could prevent achievement of goals.
- Identify resources and services that are necessary for success.
- Provide comprehensive case management services, support, and more to help individuals achieve their goals.
What services are available?
In order for FSS participants to successfully accomplish their goals, they need to address the barriers that are preventing their success. The FSS program helps to provide collaboration with local agencies and other service providers to address a wide variety of family issues including:
- Comprehensive Case Management
- Job Search Assistance
- Education Assistance
- Credit Repair
- Savings Plan
- Referrals for Home Ownership
- Transportation Assistance
- Child Care Assistance
- Community Involvement
- Information and Referrals
- Benefits Enrollment
- And more . . .
Who can participate?
You can participate in the FSS program if you:
- Meet the income guidelines.
- Head of household is 18 years or older.
- Have employment history within the last year.
- Determined to make changes in your life circumstances.
- Able to meet with your case manager at least once a month.
- Complete and work towards monthly housing plan goals.
- Willing to sign a 12-month FSS contract.
- Ready to take the necessary steps to increase income.
Quotes From Participants:
“I found someone [case manager] who not only listened but actually cared. She helped me better myself by providing me with school supplies that I’ve needed but couldn’t afford. I now look optimistically at every situation and know that I am becoming a better person.“
“The Family Self-Sufficiency program helped my family and myself so much! I have received such great support from my case manager and appreciate what they have to offer. No one is left behind with this program.”
This program is supported by the US Department of Health and Human Services as part of an award totaling $317,546. Services are offered when funds are available.