A Florida native and St. Lucie County resident for 30 years, Townsend has been a small business owner in the community for 30 years. The mother of two sons, Townsend also operated an assisted living facility for 11 years and a bed and breakfast for 10 years. Her background in real estate helped prepare her for success in small business, and she and her husband James “Bud” King currently own a Flat Land Mowing company.
While Townsend served on the St. Lucie County Planning and Zoning Commission, she was Chair the last two years prior to being elected as a County Commissioner in 2016. Many in the community recognize her name because of her experience as a volunteer and passion for helping promote and build a better community. An avid dancer, not only did Townsend teach country line dancing at a variety of adult communities, churches, organizations, and educational outlets in St. Lucie County, she also created and produced the successful Dancing With the PALs Annual Celebrity Dance contest to benefit the Fort Pierce Police Athletic League.
A former student of Indian River Community College, Townsend is also a longtime member of the League of Women Voters of St. Lucie County. She served as the organization’s president for twelve years. She has served with Deaf Service Center of St. Lucie County, the Moose Lodge, the Exchange Club of Ft Pierce, Elks Club, and the Fort Pierce Police Athletic League.
Townsend says she is proud to serve the residents of District Five and St. Lucie County at large. She looks forward to an opportunity to continue to serve the community in a different and meaningful way.
“My ears and heart have been open to learning as much as I can about the needs of our community, in order to address those needs and make a positive impact,” said Townsend. “I hope to continue to help create a climate that is conducive to small businesses and create good long-term jobs for St. Lucie County citizens. It’s been an exciting journey, and I am looking forward to our future together.”
Over the years, Townsend as serviced as the Chairperson for the Fort Pierce Exchange Club Chili Cook-Off (2012 & 2013), while she co-chaired the event in 2017. In 2016, Townsend participated in the 2016 Team Tommy Foundation Lip Sync Battle, returning in 2017 to serve as a judge for the event. She has been involved and support the Hands Clinic's Jewelia Project since 2015. Townsend has also lent her culinary skills to good causes, serving as a Celebrity Chef at Graceway Village and at Matthew's Cafe. She is a previous member of the Pilot Club.
Boards and Committees
- Board of County Commissioners, Vice Chair
- Erosion District, Vice Chair
- Mosquito Control District, Chair
- Sustainability District, Chair
- Public Safety Coordinator Council
- Transportation Planning Organization
- Property & Homeowners Associations
- Transportation Disadvantaged Local Coordinating Board
- Treasure Coast Education Research Development Authority
- Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council
- Value Adjustment Board
* Please note: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses and emails are public records and available for inspection and examination by any person desiring to do so. If you do not want your e-mail address or email released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone.