St. Lucie County is Mobile & Social
St. Lucie County's Communications Division is always looking for ways to reach residents and visitors, whether it is through our websites, government access channel (SLCTV Comcast 28 / U-Verse 99), social media, mobile apps or traditional media outlets such as newspapers and television stations.
- My St. Lucie App (Records & Service Requests)
- Alert St. Lucie (Emergency Notification System)
- Sign up for phone calls, texts or emails at www.stlucieco.gov/alert.
Homeschool Hooper Series Returns This Fall
Local scientists and environmental educators are collaborating once again to explore the natural world with Treasure Coast homeschooled students. Eight agencies and environmental organizations will host a weekly immersion series known as the Homeschool Hopper: From Land to Sea. In this collaborative science series, homeschool students will visit natural areas and preserves to learn about diverse topics including ecology, habitat restoration, biodiversity, microhabitats, conservation and more.
The series runs Sep. 6 through Oct. 25, with sessions taking place each Friday from 10 a.m. to noon. The series is designed specifically for ages 10-14. Cost for the eight-part series is $45 per student. Pre-registration is required by calling Savannas Preserve State Park at 772-398-2779.
The series dates/topics include:
• Sept. 6: Seasonal Wetlands of the Upland Pines
• Sept. 13: Micro-Habitats in Hardwood Hammocks
• Sept. 20: Marvelous Mangroves
• Sept. 27: Rangers on the Ridge: Discover Florida’s Scrub Habitat
• Oct. 4: Exploring the Biodiversity of Coral Reefs
• Oct. 11: The Bottomless Benthos
• Oct. 18: Where the Wild Things Live…In Your Backyard!
• Oct. 25: Secrets of the Seagrass
The Homeschool Hopper program began in 2014. Designed to teach a comprehensive Science unit through immersion and hands-on experiential learning, it has been a popular opportunity for area homeschool families. The fall 2019 series is sure to exceed expectations with a record eight participating organizations, including the Oxbow Eco-Center, Smithsonian Marine Station, Savannas Preserve State Park, Manatee Center Observation & Education Center, Indian River Lagoon Aquatic Preserves, Ocean Research & Conservation Association (ORCA), The Environmental Learning Center (ELC) and Heathcote Botanical Gardens. For more information about the Homeschool Hopper visit oxboweco.com or call the Savannas Preserve State Park at 772-398-2779.