VA Work Study ProgramThis program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three-quarter time or more. An individual working under this program may work at a school veterans' office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facility, County Veterans Services office, or at approved State employment offices. Work-study students are paid at either the state or Federal minimum wage, which ever is greater.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under the following programs:
- Post 911 (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
- Vocational Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans With Service Connected Disabilities (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
- Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
- Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work-study only while training in a State.
VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors, including:
HOW MUCH MAY I EARN?
You will earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or the State minimum wage, whichever is greater. You may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you've completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.
HOW DO I APPLY?
If you are interested in working in the St. Lucie County Veterans Services office, please call us at (772) 337-5670. The best time to inquire if we have openings is approx. 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of a new semester.