Animal Control Pet Registration ProgramEffective Oct. 1, 2007, residents within the unincorporated areas of St. Lucie County are required to register their dogs and cats with St. Lucie County's Public Safety Department through participating veterinarian offices or the Humane Society of St. Lucie County.
Approved by the Board of County Commissioners, this new ordinance requires dog and cat owners in the unincorporated areas to pay a registration fee for their animals. The cost is $10 annually or a one-time fee of $25 for the life of the pet for animals that have been spayed or neutered. The cost for unaltered animals is $75 per animal. There are discounts for registering additional pets that have been spayed or neutered. Breeders/Sellers are required to pay an annual $100 registration fee. Those that may have registered their animals as being spayed and neutered in other counties still need to register their pets in St. Lucie County.
Dog and cat owners who do not register their animals could face a fine up to $100 for the first offense, $200 for the second offense and mandatory court for the third offense.
Registration can be done at the following locations:
- Humane Society of St. Lucie County, 100 Savannah Road, Fort Pierce (772) 461-0687
- Tri-County Animal Hospital, 1807 Okeechobee Road, Fort Pierce (772) 461-1311
- Animal Clinic of Fort Pierce, 2508 Okeechobee Road, Fort Pierce (772) 461-2739
- Acacia Animal Clinic 4798 S U S Highway 1, Fort Pierce (772) 465-2447
- Florida Veterinary League 1360 U S Highway 1 Suite #1, Vero Beach (772) 567-3070
- North Port Animal Hospital 6801 Heritage Dr, Port St. Lucie (772) 878-4818 or (772) 461-8687
- Port St. Lucie Animal Hospital 6148 S U S Highway 1, Fort Pierce (772) 465-5525 or (772) 335-5525
For more information and details about St. Lucie County's new Pet Registration Ordinance, ask your local veterinarian or call St. Lucie County Animal Control at (772) 462-8120.