All residents of St. Lucie County are entitled to a library card free of charge. In order to obtain a card, a resident must fill out and sign a Library Card Application, present proof of residency and photo ID. Non-residents may be issued a card for a $15 annual fee. For a downloadable application in English click here, or aqui por Espanol.
Resident Adult Borrower’s Cards: The Library will issue free cards to St. Lucie County residents and business owners. Adult cards are issued to applicants who are at least 16 years old.
Applicants must present a photo ID and proof of St. Lucie County residence or ownership. Acceptable photo IDs include:
- Florida driver’s License
- Florida state ID
- Temporary Florida driver’s license or Florida state ID (only acceptable with additional form of photo ID or if the temporary has a photo on it)
- Non-Florida state-issued license or ID
- Passport or passport card
- Military ID
- International driver’s license
- Non-US driver’s license or permit
- U.S. federal government-issued ID with an identifying number
- A picture ID from any school or educational institution in St. Lucie County
Additionally, if your photo ID does not include a valid St. Lucie County address, you will need one of the following documents verifying a St. Lucie County address:
- A student ID from any school or educational institution in St. Lucie County
- St. Lucie County voter registration card
- A recent utility bill/check book in patron’s name with a St. Lucie County address
- Registrant’s name and address in the St. Lucie County Property Appraiser’s database
- Registrant’s business license in St. Lucie County
- St. Lucie County vehicle registration or proof of insurance
- Official rent receipt, rental agreement, lease or contract
- Mail postmarked within the last 30 days (if none of the above is available)
Exceptions may be granted at the supervisor’s discretion
Youth Borrower’s Cards: The Library will issue free youth cards to applicants who are at least 4 years old and younger than 16 years old in the presence of the parent/guardian/responsible adult who is a resident of St. Lucie County.
- This adult must sign the application and agree to be responsible for the appropriate use of library privileges.
- By signing for a youth borrower’s card the adult signer agrees to be financially responsible for any items checked out and any type of fees incurred by the use of the card.
- Only one adult parent/guardian/responsible adult may sign and be listed as the responsible party on a youth card account.
- If a different adult wants to sign for a child who has an existing account, that adult will need to agree to take over responsibility for the existing account. The adult will need to fill out an application for the child in care of themselves and any existing fines owed will need to be paid at that time.
Exceptions may be granted at the supervisor’s discretion.
General Exceptions: Free Borrower’s Cards may also be granted to the following individuals regardless of residence.
- Students enrolled in a school located in St. Lucie County (school ID required)
- Teachers in the St. Lucie Public Schools (with proof of employment)
- Instructors at Indian River State College (with proof of employment)
- All employees of the St. Lucie County Board of County Commissioners and of city governments within St. Lucie County
- Adult and young adult St. Lucie County Library volunteers
Other exceptions may be granted at the supervisor’s discretion.
Non-Resident Borrower’s Cards: All non-County residents who wish to borrow materials or use the Library’s proprietary databases from home (but do not meet the previously stated criteria) are welcome to become Library members. Each membership requires an annual fee of $15.00 and the individual must present a photo ID as described above and proof of residence in their home county.
Card owners are responsible for all materials charged out on their library cards and are advised to report lost or stolen cards as promptly as possible.
The Library Manager or her designee may revoke a patron’s library privileges for violation of library policies, subject to appeal to the Library Advisory Board.
To see the official Library Card Registration Policy, click here.