The Fort Pierce Art Club, Incorporated was formed in 1955 under the leadership and presidency of A. E. “Bean” Backus. It had a charter membership of thirty-five members. The members are dedicated to bringing a greater awareness of art to the community and to providing artists with an opportunity to show their works at a series of galley and sidewalk exhibitions.
The organization also gives art lovers an opportunity for service and participation in art development. Several scholarships to artists were given and have been continued to the current time. The club was incorporated as a Florida not-for-profit corporation in 1984.
The Fort Pierce Art Club voted to rename the corporation in1988 and is now known as The Treasure Coast Art Association, Incorporated.
A permanent facility for the displaying of art and studio space for working artists was obtained at 223 Avenue A, Fort Pierce and has been in continuous operation at that location to the present time.