Free Tax Assistance Available Throughout St. Lucie County
Trained volunteers with the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs will be providing free tax preparation assistance at seven locations throughout St. Lucie County starting in February.
These sites offer free tax filing assistance to those residents making less than $55,000 per year. Please call 211 for updates. Assistance will be offered at the following locations:
- Indian River State College (Fort Pierce campus / Building B – Room 119), 3209 Virginia Ave., Fort Pierce: Thursdays from 2 to 7 p.m. (772-462-7489)
- Lakewood Park Branch Library, 7605 Santa Barbara Drive, Fort Pierce: Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:30 to 11 a.m. (772-462-6870)
- Morningside Branch Library, 2410 SE Morningside Blvd., Port St. Lucie: Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon (772-337-5632)
- Mustard Seed Ministries (Fort Pierce), 3130 South US 1, Fort Pierce: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (772-465-6021)
- Mustard Seed Ministries (Port St. Lucie), 8311 South US 1, Port St. Lucie: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (772-340-1406)
- Port St. Lucie Community Center, 2195 SE Airoso Blvd., Port St. Lucie: Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (772-344-4302)
- United Against Poverty (formerly Harvest Outreach Food Bank), 2520 Orange Ave., Fort Pierce: Wednesdays from 1 to 5 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (772-468-8543)
Times and availability may vary, so please call ahead. Sites will be closed on holidays. Indian River State College will be closed during spring break (March 12-16).
A list of potential paperwork that residents will need to bring to have their federal taxes prepared include: Proof of identification, Social Security numbers, birth dates of family members, property tax bills, all income documents, including wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R from all employers; interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-Div); a copy of last year’s Federal and State returns (if available); health care expenses; donation receipts and bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit.
Volunteers at all of the sites have been trained by the Internal Revenue Service. For more details about this program visit: www.irs.gov and search the “VITA” and click on “Free Tax Return Preparation for You by Volunteers.”
Please be aware that residents will not be able to contact the tax volunteers by calling the individual locations. For additional assistance and information please contact the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center, 7410 South US 1, Port St. Lucie or call 772-340-5606.