St. Lucie County, United Way Seek Volunteers to Assist with Free Tax Prep Sites
It’s not too early to start thinking about filing your income taxes. St. Lucie County’s Community Services Department and the United Way of St. Lucie County are recruiting volunteers to assist with volunteer tax preparation.
One hour of volunteer time brings in more than $1,900 in refunds to families in need. St. Lucie County works with community partners to set up Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites staffed with trained volunteers to provide free tax-preparation services for households with low to moderate incomes.
The locations and hours of the VITA sites are typically announced in January, but staff is working now to recruit volunteers in the following capacities:
- Welcome taxpayers and oversee the sign-in process
- Conduct initial screening of taxpayers
- Tax Preparer
- Meet with taxpayer to gather information, review documentation and prepare tax return
- Site Coordinator
- Manage VITA site and volunteers
- Provide support, answer questions and provide quality review of tax returns
Volunteers will be asked to serve at least a four-hour commitment, once a week from Feb. 1 through April 17. Afternoon, evening, weekday and weekend hours are available. To volunteer, please contact the St. Lucie County Community Services Department at 772-462-1777 or email email@example.com.